Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scrabble to a whole new level

Those of you who know me, know that I enjoy Scrabble immensely.  (Remember the picture from our wedding slideshow, the one of me beating Dan handily?  ;))  Anyway, we had the opportunity to play with a world-class Scrabble player the other day!  What an eye-opening experience.
Jason is a Tokyo Googler, and we played a quick game with him at the office.  I mean the word 'play' in a loose sense; basically, Jason would lay down his tiles, and then glance over at ours and help us out if we were at too much of a loss.  I have never seen Scrabble played in this manner before.  
I normally try and get some high scoring words, use a couple strategic spots, but that's the end of my strategy.  I never use all of my tiles, but apparently, that's very important to do, especially when the other player does it about twice during the game!  Also, he does a lot of the parallel plays, which I suck at because I have a limited repertoire of 2 and 3 letter words.  And it's better to exchange your tiles than play a crappy word.  Always know which letters to keep!
Anyway, check out our final board:
Amazing, huh?  I don't even know what half the words mean!
You can compare it to some of my old boards.  You'll see the difference immediately.  :P

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I need a lesson from this guy! It's good to know that it's better to switch a tile than to play a crappy word because I always thought that it was the other way around. I wish I had known you were a Scrabble aficionado earlier!

    ReplyDelete