Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Street food galore!

Okay, finally here's some of the food out here.  I love street food!  Japan has its own unique street food delicacies, especially okonomiyake (like a Japanese style pancake made with cabbage) and octopus balls.  I'm not the biggest fan of the fishier tasting street food, but we had the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the wide variety at the street market in Ueno Park.

Deep-fried spaghetti, then seasoned with sugar and soy sauce.  Eh, interesting, but not my thing.

Oden -- various fish cakes and stuff in this soup.  We have yet to try real oden, but they have it everywhere, even in the local convenience stores.  

This is a potato carved out into a crispy long strip.  They season them with a variety of different toppings.  Like French fries, I suppose.

Grilled fish.  Didn't try this but it looked interesting!

My okonomiyake -- not really my thing, much too fishy!

Deep-fried green tea mochi -- now this is good!

Skewers, skewers, skewers!

Deep-fried sweet potato fries -- so delicious!  Why don't we have these in America?  The Japanese are obsessed with potatoes.  They love boiled potatoes with mayonnaise.  I don't get it.

Stay tuned for our adventures with whale meat!  (I hope to gross Jason out, so keep reading.  :))
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. If you like okonomiyaki, you just have to go to Okonomi-mura in Hiroshima.

    ReplyDelete